Looks like I discovered a bug in C3D 2011. When you create a table style set up a specific way the sorting does not work. In order to see this issue, create a table style that:

1) Sorts on a specific column
2) The data of that column is formatted to use the new digit grouping (the comma in 1,000 is an example of digit grouping), and
3) The data spans more than one group (i.e. 700 – 1,300)

In this example, I’ve created a line table from a series of polyline labels. The table style is not set to sort and so it places the labels in the table in the order they were created:

For this example, I’m going to sort by the length of the lines. For whatever reason, that is the important piece of data for this table. After editing the style, the table sorts just as expected:

Now, if I change the data format for the length of the lines to add the new digit grouping, you’ll see the table no longer sorts correctly.

Now, I haven’t been able to confirm this but, it seems that the sorting process isn’t looking at the value of the entire number for the sorting purposes but rather the very first group. That’s why it thinks 1,000 is less then 900; it sees 1 as less then 900.

Unfortunately, at this point, I really don’t know of a viable workaround other then to not set the numbers to group the digits. If anyone can think of a workaround, I would love to hear it.